Our school charity, Mercy in Action exists to tackle poverty, injustice and inequality through housing, food, education and care, and to create opportunities to enable beneficiaries and their families to flourish. Negative outcomes do not have to be inevitable. They come alongside children, families and communities so they can access the tools they need to thrive. To give an illustration of the work they currently do in the local area and beyond…
In the Philippines, there are
- Over 400 children on our schooling programme, receiving all the essential items they need for their studies – uniforms, textbooks, and all art and school supplies. In addition they receive a hot meal every day to aid their concentration and development.
- Residential care providing a place of healing for children rescued from homelessness and trafficking
- A drop-in centre providing welfare services to children and youth either living or spending most of their day on the streets, with a team of social workers and access to education, showers, food, mentoring and life skills
In Bath and the surrounding area, there are
- 5 supported houses (Petra Project) for homeless young mums aged 16-25 and their babies.
- ‘Action Pantry’, a weekly food co-operative providing food for more than 220 families each week.
- ‘My Home’ a free service for women moving on from refuges and safe houses. Provides furniture, household items, removal services, grant applications and set up, free of charge.
- ‘Clothesline’, free children’s clothes.
- Peer support mum and baby group for 16-25s
What we love about Mercy in Action is that they offer direct action – we can see the money we raise making an impact. Please give generously.