The School Travel Plan identifies ways in which the school can support parents using sustainable means of transport. By reducing the number of vehicular trips that come to school, we can:
- reduce our impact on the environment;
- reduce our impact on Beckington and retain the good will of our neighbours whose support we value;
- through good example, educate our children to be environmentally responsible.
If your child travels to and from Springmead by sustainable means you can claim up to 10% discount from the term’s fees. Sustainable means of transport are:
- Public bus
- Car sharing (i.e. any means that avoids a car arriving and departing from theschool with just one Springmead pupil)
Conditions of the STP Discount
- A completed ‘mode of transport self-declaration form’ for your child must be received by the school, by the last day of term or the opportunity to claim the discount will be lost. The actual number of sustainable trips travelled by your child over the term is divided by the possible sustainable trips in the term. This figure is multiplied by 10% of the fees that you paid at the start of the term to give the discount that you have earned. The form will be issued to you with the termly invoice.
- The discount is given in arrears off the next terms invoice. When your child leaves the school you will be provided with a cheque for the outstanding amount.
- The STP discount relates to the termly school or nursery fees that you pay, for example, net of the school administered Early Years Grant that you may receive from the government.
Springmead School is connected to the public bus network with bus stops outside the school. Buses from the following locations access Beckington directly: Frome, Trowbridge, Melksham, Chippenham, and Bath via Midford. Timetables for Beckington, Somerset can be obtained www.firstgroup.com and www.faresaver.co.uk.
We actively encourage supervised cycling to school where the child is old enough.
We actively encourage escorted walking to school. If there is interest, we will administer a walking bus scheme within Beckington.
We operate a brokering system to put parents in touch with each other who have space in their car with appropriate seat belts and would be willing to provide transport for pupils local to them would like their children to receive a lift in another parents car to and/or from school.
When attending the school with your car, please park on the Frome Road. There are designated parts of the lay-bys that you may use; you can park on the other side of the road, or park on the school side of the road beyond the School Keep Clear sign as it is an offence to park on this road marking. In addition, please do not park in the bus stops or on the white hatching. It is a requirement of the Terms and Conditions of Admission that parents / guardians do not use Church Hill, Church Road and Castle Corner for vehicular access when dropping off or collecting their children.
Between the hours of 8.00a.m. to 9.00a.m. and 3.30p.m. to 4.00.p.m. please use the pupils’ entrance when dropping off and collecting children. During the school day, as the pupils entrance is locked, please come to the main entrance at the front of the building. If you are collecting from After School Care, between 4.00p.m. and 6.00p.m., please park on the Frome Road and use the basement entrance on the Frome Road. If the weather is fine and the After School Club is in the playground, a notice will be placed on the basement entrance asking you to come to the main entrance at the front of the building.
If you attend school services at St George’s Church, please park on the Frome Road outside Springmead as usual and walk to the church, as the village school coach requires access at this time.
Please ensure that all members of your family, who may pick up or drop off your child, are aware of these requirements. A map of the parking arrangements is available to parents from the school office.