Springmead School is an independent co-educational Preparatory School and Nursery for children rising 3 to 11 years. We provide a nurturing and inspiring environment where confidence blossoms and where respect, patience, self discipline, tolerance and a joy for learning are our daily guiding principles. We are proud to have been always judged Excellent by the Independent Schools Inspectorate and Outstanding by Ofsted. We are situated in the beautiful village of Beckington, near Frome, on the Wiltshire – Somerset border.
There can be few more important tasks for a parent than choosing the right school for their child.
Our philosophy is that at Springmead, children should not only become numerate and literate, but also develop a hunger for knowledge and a thirst for learning whether this is in academic areas, sports or arts. Children need to be guided to become self-learners, to think wisely, be confident, balanced and compassionate, while developing their own particular talents and abilities to the full. Such principles are best achieved in an environment that is stable, secure and safe, but at the same time one that is exciting, rich, stimulating, rewarding and fun. At Springmead these ideals are achieved by having the following clearly defined aims:
- To see each child as an individual with unique needs and possibilities
- To teach children in small classes
- To use the best traditional and modern teaching practices in the classroom and beyond
- To ensure pupils work towards and beyond national age-related expectations in literacy and maths, but at the same time maintain a very strong commitment to a fulfilling curricular experience across all subjects
- To provide a rich variety of academic, artistic, sporting and social enrichment experiences through an extensive extra-curricular programme, allowing children to find and nurture their talents
- To teach children how to become effective, resilient, reflective and resourceful self-learners
- To teach sound human values, implicitly and explicitly
- To provide dedicated, professional and caring staff
- To forge strong partnerships between home and school
- To provide an inspirational, happy and supportive environment.
We are confident in our ability to be entrusted with the life, education, possibilities and future of each prospective pupil. Children leave in Year 6 to go on to the best local independent and state schools. Importantly our pupils are fulfilled, have a strong sense of self-worth and have begun to develop a life-long love of learning in their time at Springmead.
Springmead aims to promote an environment where everyone feels happy, safe and secure and where children are actively encouraged to become their ‘best self’. The school embraces a positive behaviour management strategy. It is a means of promoting good relationships, so that people can work together with the common purpose of helping everyone to learn. We do this through shared values known as the Springmead Way: Treat other people as you would be treated. Forgive. Share. Be honest. Listen. Be kind and helpful. Be respectful. Do your best to be your best self
The School was founded in 2002 by Madeleine and Steve Taylor and Jacqueline Beardsley. We warmly invite you to visit us at the school where one of us will meet with you personally. The tour and interview will last approximately one hour. Whilst this website will give you a flavour of Springmead School there is no substitute for a visit. Our administrator will be happy to organise an appointment at your convenience.
“Springmead School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers, known and unknown to the school, to share this commitment”. The school adopts rigorous recruitment and selection procedures that enable it to appoint the best applicant for the post and which help to deter, reject or identify people who are in any way unsuitable to work with children.”